Thursday, October 7, 2010

if you ever look behind, and don't like what you find


At 11.27 yesterday morning I was a 56 year old, unemployed, overweight, divorced, Ayr United supporting father of 3 grown up sons, living on my own.

At 11.28 yesterday morning I became a grandfather for the first time.

ISN'T LIFE WONDERFUL!

An 8lb 8oz baby boy arrived to my son Sean and his lovely partner Claire.


I have tried to explain to my son that this little bundle of wonder has now become (and forever will be) the most important person in his life. He may have further children who will become equally important but no-one and nothing in this world will ever be more important.


The baby is to be called Ben, not short for Benjamin or Benedict or Benito, just Ben. I like it. In our family, we don't much go in for protracted first names, my sons are Denis (who is called Den), Sean and Dean so having an e and an n in there seems to be keeping up tradition, and not overusing the alphabet. I had thrown Dexter into the baby naming hat but that one fell on stoney ground (no n in it, too long and something about a serial killer not being a great role model)


I looked up other less famous Ben's to see what he has to live up to, so here is my Top 10 Famous Ben's List


1. Ben...................my grandson

2. Ben Affleck.....star of such great movies as Good Will Hunting and...eh, that's about it

3. Ben Cohen of Ben & Jerry's....makes ice cream so will probably be my grandson's favourite Ben

4. Ben Nevis.......Tall, rugged, Scottish......what's not to like

5. Ben Roethlisberger.....Pittsburgh Steelers QB with 2 Superbowl wins, currently suspended for off field actions

6. Ben Stiller.....star of such hilarious movies as There's Something About Mary and.......I'll come back to you on this

7. Big Ben....famous London landmark...and yes I know Big Ben actually refers to the bell of the clock

8. Uncle Ben......his rice is very quick and efficient

9. Ben Johnson.....took drugs, ran fast, won medal, failed drugs test, lost medal

10. Ben Elton.....really starting to struggle a bit on the famous Ben front now (I have not included Mr Franklin or Mr Netanyahu as I consider them as Benjamins)


This has been day 1 of my ramblings on my new grandson. Hopefully there will be many more to follow

4 comments:

  1. Zoolander. Though I admit it's not as good as There's Something About Mary.

    That aside, congratulations Ron, that's brilliant. I'm really pleased.

    On a final note, 56? I'm sure you used to be vastly older than me. Now not so much. I seem almost to have caught up a bit. Inexplicable.

    Congratulations again.

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. 56?

    Never remember you being THAT old either.

    Some more Ben's.

    Ben:brother of Bill likes plant and pot and weed

    Ben Cousins:footie player.Likes pot and weed and columbians.

    Ben Sherman:makes shirts

    Ben Chiffley:Ex aussie PM.Likes pipes and trains.

    Ben Hur:Chariot driver.Likes to annoy romans.

    Congrats Uncle.

    How's your tree climbing?

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bringing to end discussion of Bens with 3 more offerings:
    Ben Gunn, mad, scruffy, spendthrift, pirate
    Ben E King - wrote your wee lad's theme tune
    Benbecula - Angus Og country

    Is he talking yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's also of course Ben Grimm, better known as The Thing from the Fantastic Four.

    He went out with a blind woman, apparently as because she couldn't see how ugly he was she only saw his inner beauty and so fell in love with him. Quite why she couldn't feel the fact he weighed hundreds of pounds and was made from bricks was never fully explained in the issues I read...

    ReplyDelete