Sunday, December 19, 2010

He knows if you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake


Only six days to go and then as Noddy Holder famously said IT'S CHRISTMAS!. The tree is up , the presents are wrapped (except those that have not arrived as yet from Amazon ...that's the book/cd provider not that dwindling rainforest area in Brazil...Ben's pet pink-toed Tarantula arrived from there weeks ago) the turkey is playing happily in the back garden oblivious to his fate and the TV is awash with perfume adverts.

I have noticed in recent years how these have become more and more elaborate like Music Videos and now contain Hollywood stars. I believe there is now an Oscar category for Best Performance in a Perfume Advert. The nominees are Ryan Reynolds for Hugo Boss, James Franco for Gucci, Jude Law for Dior Homme, Naomi Watts for Angel by Thierry Mugler and Charlize Theron for Dior J'Adore. Charlize would definitely get my vote.

The Jude Law advert is set in Paris and c'est vraiment affreux. The very attractive French lady asks "How will I recognise you?" and Jude replies "Oh, Don't you worry about that. You'll know when I'm there" Yes, because he will be standing under the Eiffel Tower absolutely reeking of Dior Homme and speaking in a bad Cockney accent.

I almost appeared in a perfume ad myself. I made the final two for the Dolce and Gabbana advert but for some reason they went for the lad in the white trunks. I think he is slightly taller than I am.

It seems that nowadays almost anyone can put there name to a perfume....I mean Kerry Katona and Coleen Rooney...Really? Soon we will have Faithful by Tommy Sheridan, Cain And Abel by Ed Miliband, Sincere by David Cameron and Filled Nappy by Ben

But so-called Celebrities are everywhere on TV nowadays. I remember it was a novelty when people like Andre Previn or Angela Rippon appeared on Morecambe and Wise but this Christmas we could have 'Celebrity Present Wrapping', 'Celebrity Cracker Pulling' and 'Celebrity Tree Decorating'

I leave you this week with my Top 5 Favourite Festive Songs & Movies

Songs

1. Santa Claus is Coming to Town....Bruce Springsteen ......what else would it be
2. Merry Xmas Everybody....Slade...Noddy, 70s, Xmas..what's not to like
3. Last Christmas...Wham....last Christmas George gave her his heart but this year she is up the mountain with Andrew...it's enough to put George off women for life
4. Fairytale of New York...The Pogues....you cannot not (double negative?) sing along to this
5. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus....Brenda Lee....particularly traumatic at the time but explained to me years later...my real dad is Santa Claus

Movies

1. Die Hard.....I guess I am just an old romantic at heart
2. Ben Hur....perhaps not an actual Christmas movie but it is on every Christmas and it does have an appearance by Jesus
3. Jack Frost....brings a tear to the eye, especially for Claire
4. Elf..Will Ferrell has given many outstanding performances but this may just be his finest (apart from Anchorman of course)
5. A Night at the Opera...The Marx Brothers....yes I know it's not a Christmas movie but it does include the immortal lines "That's what they call a Sanity Clause".."You can't fool me, there aint no Sanity Clause" and I had to fit that in somehow

Well, That's it. Merry Christmas everyone and I hope Santa is good to you all

1 comment:

  1. Slightly surprised you did not do your favourite Xmas Number Ones.
    May I suggest, in no particular order:
    Elvis..... Return to Sender
    Human League ...Don't you want me
    Mud.......Lonely this Xmas
    Beatles.....I want to hold your hand
    and, of course,
    Benny Hill ..........Ernie

    I did think of adding my least favourite, but I am prohibited by a lack of time and space.
    However, suppressing my natural good humour and seasonal well wishing, I give special mention to:
    Cliff .......(multiple choice)
    Spice Girls ....(multiple choice)
    St Winifreds School Choir and their wretched Grandma
    Just about anything since 1990 excepting Queen and Bob the Builder
    Mr piggin' Blobby

    A very Merry Xmas to Ben and the others of your tribe.

    ReplyDelete