Monday, January 9, 2012

I cried to my daddy on the telephone, how long now? Until the clouds unroll and you come home, the line went, but the shadows still remain since your descent


So, this weekend was the start of the Play-Offs in the NFL or Wild Card Weekend as they like to call it over there.

I will watch most sports but American Football is the only one from across the pond which I have ever really liked. My sons all like Basketball but the appeal of the game has always escaped me and as for Baseball, watching grown men play Rounders is not my idea of fun.

American Football, however, I do like and each year put on a small wager to try and pick the Super Bowl winner. As I have mentioned before I have an affinity for San Francisco and this year finally The 49ers have made the Play-Offs and I have been able to throw my money away on them

In an effort to expand the game's appeal overseas the NFL play a regular game at Wembley each year. In 2007 my sons and I saw the New York Giants defeat the Miami Dolphins 13-10 and the following year we enjoyed a much more entertaining game when the New Orleans Saints defeated the San Diego Chargers 37-32.

At The Super Bowl they have a half-time show where the most famous acts in the world appear like Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, Prince and The Who. At Wembley we had The Feeling which basically meant it was time to have another beer

In 2008 my mate and I were in New York for his 50th birthday the weekend of The Super Bowl between the New England Patriots and the New York Giants. The Patriots had gone the entire season undefeated and were strong favourites but an inspired performance by The Giants saw them triumph 17-14. The atmosphere watching that game in New York was incredible and even my mate who is not normally a sports fan was so swept up in the emotions that he even bought a round

Over the years movie makers have tried  to produce a good film about football. They have failed miserably and turned out such 'doozies' as 'A Shot At Glory', 'When Saturday Comes' and 'Goal'. There has been much more success with movies about American Football and these are my 5 Favourite ones...

1. 'Remember The Titans'... based on a true story, Denzel Washington gives an amazing performance as the coach who forced integration in his football team
" This is where they fought the battle of Gettysburg. Fifty thousand men died right here on this field, fighting the same fight that we are still fighting among ourselves today. This green field right here, painted red, bubblin' with the blood of young boys. Smoke and hot lead pouring right through their bodies. Listen to their souls, men. I killed my brother with malice in my heart. Hatred destroyed my family. You listen, and you take a lesson from the dead. If we don't come together right now on this hallowed ground, we too will be destroyed, just like they were. I don't care if you like each other or not, but you will respect each other. And maybe... I don't know, maybe we'll learn to play this game like men. "
2. 'Any Given Sunday'.....Al Pacino, Jamie Foxx, Cameron Diaz, James Woods, Dennis Quaid, LL Cool J...excellent cast...excellent movie
3. 'Friday Night Lights'...the movie that spawned the TV series....both compulsive viewing

4.  'Varsity Blues'.....James Van Der Beek (Dawson from Dawson's Creek) steps in when the star quarterback is injured and experiences the pressure of carrying the hopes of a small Texas town to whom high school football is like a religion
5. 'Jerry Maguire'...."You had me at hello"...."Show me the money"  and Dylan and Springsteen in the soundtrack. What more do you need?


I leave you this week with my Top 10 NFL Related Songs


1. One of these Nights.....The (Philadelphia) Eagles
2. Bennie and the (New York) Jets......Elton John
3. (Buffalo) Bills, Bills, Bills................Destiny's Child
4. Where have all the (Dallas) Cowboys gone....Paula Cole
5. I Predict a Riot...........................................Kaiser (Kansas City) Chiefs
6. (Detroit) Lions.........................................Dire Straits
7. Indian Reservation......................................Paul Revere and the (Oakland) Raiders
8. I Can't Ride the (Denver) Broncos Anymore.....Chris Ledoux
9. Birdhouse in your Soul...................................They Might Be (New York) Giants
10. Stuck in the Middle with you........................(Pittsburgh) Steelers Wheel
Yes, I know it's Stealer's Wheel but I thought it was better than Leader of the (Green Bay) Packers or something by Chesney (Seattle) Seahawks
Anyway, Go 49ers! There is a Brees blowing in from the east and The Saints are indeed coming. Bring 'em on!

No comments:

Post a Comment