Sunday, February 12, 2012

Anyway the thing is, what I really mean, yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen

So, Young Ben and I were chatting this week and he remarked that he had noticed in recent weeks that my Blog was more Grandpa than Ben.

I tried to explain that my fervent follower would rather read the incoherent nostalgic ramblings of an old codger than be enthralled by the intrepid adventures of a precocious youngster.

I also told him that cycling round the living room backwards whilst reciting Milton's Paradise Lost just wasn't going to cut it anymore and that he had to up his game. When I left him this week he was reading The Art of War by Sun Tzu so it appears he has taken my words on board. Either that or he is looking to negotiate an increase in his pocket money

Anyway, moving swiftly along, this week I give you my life and times in the 70s. This was probably the most varied decade of my life and saw me move south, leave school, start work, move north, get married and lose something I would thankfully never get back. (Please note not all of these items are in chronological order)

Here are my lists from the 70s

World Events

1. Sunderland win the FA Cup in 1973 beating the mighty Leeds United in the final
2. The Munich massacre at the 1972 Olympics when members of the Israeli team were taken hostage by the Palestinian group Black September and eleven of them were killed.
3. Watergate 1974...would you buy a used car from Richard Nixon?
4. Patty Hearst....the American newspaper heiress who was kidnapped in 1974 by the Symbionese Liberation Army and then famously went on to join them and was caught after robbing a bank with them. She spent less than two years in jail and in later life was granted a presidential pardon by good old Bill Clinton
5. The Jonestown Massacre in 1978....when cult leader Jim Jones convinced more than 900 of his followers to commit suicide in their'community' in a South American jungle. These events are still beyond my comprehension

Sporting Icons

1. Pele.....at the 1970 World Cup Pele and Brazil showed how 'the beautiful game' was meant to be played
2. Bjorn Bjorg...he always seemed to be winning Wimbledon in the 70s. My mum and I used to often watch the tennis together but she always had a soft spot for McEnroe (I think it was because he had a bit more character than Mr Bjorg)
3. Red Rum....I am not a horse racing fan but even I have heard of the legendary horse which won The Grand National three times in the 70s
4. Tom Watson and Jack Nicklaus.....their 'duel in the sun' at Turnberry in 1977 was a magnificent display of golf from two exemplary sportsmen. Watson is reported to have said to Nicklaus on the 16th tee of the final round "This is what it's all about, isn't it?" to which big Jack replied "You bet it is". Watson won on the 18th and Nicklaus in a memorable (but for him not surprising) act of sportsmanship, threw his arm around the champion's shoulder and walked him towards the scorer's tent
5. Sunderland AFC....did I mention they won the cup in 1973

Movies

1. The Exorcist (1973)...I remember when I saw this people were walking out of the theatre during the movie because they found it so disturbing. By modern day standards it would be considered fairly tame. It also used the wonderful Tubular Bells in the soundtrack
2. The Deer Hunter (1978)...Made a huge impact on me when I saw it for the first time and probably still my favourite movie of all time
3. Rollerball (1975) ...a real 70s movie with a real 70s star...James Caan
4. Soldier Blue (1970)...a Western that was more honest about the treatment of the Red Indians (Native Americans) than most of it's predecessors and it starred Candice Bergen
5. Blazing Saddles (1974) ...Mel Brooks at his best, a trail blazer for all the movie 'spoofs' to follow with a myriad of catch-phrases which I still use to this day
 "Hello, handsome, is that a ten-gallon hat or are you just enjoying the show? "
"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"
"Mongo only pawn... in game of life"
"We'll kill the first born male child in every household"..."Too Jewish"
I need to stop here or I will go on all day and "this one is a doozy"

Music

1. Life On Mars....David Bowie (1973)....always been a big fan of Bowie and this is still his best for me. So evocative of the 70s that in recent years they named a TV series after it
2. Your Song...Elton John (1970)...over 40 years on and Elton has never bettered this classic
3. If There Is Something...Roxy Music (1972)...I saw Roxy several times in the 70s and bought all their albums (mainly for the covers). I heard this song used in the 2008 Daniel Craig film 'Flashbacks of a Fool' and it reminded me how good it was. Andy Mackay played a mean sax
'Shake your hair girl with your ponytail,
 Takes me right back (when you were young)
Throw your precious gifts into the air
Watch them fall down (when you were young)'
4. Born to Run...Bruce Springsteen (1975)....from his breakthrough album this gave 'The Boss' the critical and commercial success he has enjoyed ever since and is still as good as it gets in my book
5. Heart of Gold....Neil Young (1972)
 
I want to live,
I want to give
I've been a miner
for a heart of gold.
It's these expressions
I never give
That keep me searching
for a heart of gold
And I'm getting old.
 
I'm still searching, Neil, still searching!
 
Personal Events

1. Being told by my mum and dad when I was 16 that we were leaving Ayr and moving to north-east England. I thought it was the end of my life but in fact the move provided me with some of the best years of my life
2. Started my first job in 1973 working as an expediter for Flymo. It doesn't get much more glamorous than that does it. At least our garden was always tidy
3. Passed my driving test in 1974. After messing my dad about for ages we decided to apply for a test date to give me something to aim at. They gave me a cancellation and my dad and I practised like crazy for two weeks and much to his and my great astonishment passed first time in his VW Beetle at Bishop Auckland. He was delighted as this meant he then got to listen to Bowie and Roxy in his car as well as at home
4. Moved back to Scotland in 1978 when my brother made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I entered the world of Retailing
5. Got married in 1979 after a whirlwind romance (I believe that's what they call it in the movies)
    I remember telephoning The Tarbet Hotel at Loch Lomond to book a room for our wedding night as this was a spot we had passed many times on our travels. When we arrived however I discovered I had actually booked a room at The Tarbert Hotel which was a further 70 miles away on winding country roads. Fortunately, given that it was November there was plenty of room available at our Loch Lomond Hotel and they were only to pleased to have us. I often wonder if they are still holding that room for me at The Tarbert. Maybe I will make it there next time.

That's it for the 70s. Next week it's the 80s which apart from the birth of my three sons had no obvious redeeming features. That one could take some effort


 

No comments:

Post a Comment