Monday, August 20, 2012

There's a time for joy, a time for tears, a time we'll treasure through the years

In recent weeks I have been doing some part-time work as an Exam Invigilator at Glasgow University. This is very seasonal and only slightly more frequent than a job as a Santa lookalike (obviously there is only one real Santa)

The exams take place in December and May with some resits in August

The best part about the job is that you get to enjoy the surroundings. If there is a finer set of buildings in Glasgow then I have yet to see them so this week I give you my personal pictorial record of my time spent at Glasgow University.

These pictures all been taken on my mobile phone so David Bailey is not in any real danger and I don't expect a call from The Tate Modern anytime soon but hopefully they will convey a little of the beauty and splendour of the University









The Chapel, the Cloisters and the Quadrangles


The view from the South Flag Pole overlooking Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and on towards the south side of Glasgow. One of the finest views in Glasgow and not done justice by these photos


The South Tower taken from the Flag Pole. I didn't manage to climb very far up the flag pole so this is taken from a fairly low stance






I have had the pleasure of invigilating exams in The Bute Hall. This is just a fabulous room used for their Graduation Ceremonies and other such grand events. It is just a joy to behold. Magnificent architecture and an aura of pomp and circumstance which, in my opinion, modern buildings just cannot match. Down both sides are stained glass windows portraying notable characters from the past. These are philosophers, scientists, theologians, saints, monarchs and famous authors such as Burns, Chaucer, Milton, Shakespeare but surprisingly not E.L. James, maybe next year


The canteen table where Invigilators gather to discuss the rigours of the day

For anyone who has never visited Glasgow University, I thoroughly recommend it. I have only scratched the surface of what can be seen and experienced. Go visit! You will not be disappointed.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment