Sunday, September 9, 2012

Live those dreams, scheme those schemes, got to hit me, hit me, hit me with those laser beams


Although it is still early days for me to impress on Young Ben the importance of listening to some proper music rather than the current stuff favoured by his mum and dad at least he has recently been sporting some T-shirts with band names from my era. This is thanks to an excellent kids' range from Next which features The Rolling Stones, The Beatles and The Jam amongst others.

Sartorial elegance has never really been my style but I have always loved a good T-shirt and when I used to pack my case for a holiday abroad I would always have a different T-shirt for each day I was there and would also try to purchase a T-shirt as a memento of place visited or event experienced

With this in mind I give you my Top 10 Favourite T-shirts. Given that I cannot carry off the look with the same panache as Young Ben and that some of them may be somewhat 'snug' these days, these T-shirts are on hangers rather than modelled by yours truly

Unfortunately some old favourites like 'Jaws' , 'Terminator' , '49ers' and 'Frankie Says...' have not survived the intervening years and are now used only as dusters. Well they would be used as dusters if I actually ever dusted. These 10 deserve a better fate than that. Maybe I could donate them to a T-shirt museum

1.

Back To The Future T-Shirt from Universal Studios Theme Park in Florida.

I remember we queued for hours for this ride back in the 90s and it didn't disappoint

2.

I bought this on my trip to San Francisco and it has outlasted the SF 49ers one                               

3.  
Bruce Springsteen The Rising Tour T-Shirt

Bought this when my son and I saw 'The Boss' at Old Trafford Cricket Ground in Manchester in 2003

4.


Homer Simpson Doesn't Wear Khakis

It was a choice between this one and my 'Homer Simpson/Scarface' T-Shirt but this one got the nod since it aptly portrays the similar lifestyle enjoyed by Homer and myself                                                          

5. 
                                                      FDNY T-Shirt from New York

If you visit New York I believe it is almost compulsory to buy either an FDNY T-Shirt or an NYPD one. I have one of each. 

6. 
I don't have a Rolling Rock T-Shirt and my Tequila ones have seen better days but drinking a Corona beer whilst wearing a Corona T-Shirt on a sunny day is fine by me

7.

                                                      France 98 World Cup T-Shirt

This was the last time Scotland were actually at the World Cup and given yesterday's disappointing performance it does not look like I will be adding a Brazil 2014 World Cup T-Shirt to my collection

8. 
                                           Predator Dive Co. Sausalito T-Shirt

Another purchase from my trip to San Francisco and it has a shark on it. What's not to like

9.


'Che' Guevara T-Shirt

Everyone of a certain vintage should have a 'Che' T-Shirt in their collection

10.


                                                                                                                                      
                                                  'Karhu' T-Shirt

A home made T-Shirt done by my mate to commemorate our trip to Finland. 'Karhu' is Finnish for bear and is also a type of beer which was frequently sampled on our trip although we called it 'Shardik' as it reminded us of the creature from the Richard Adams book of the same name. Oh how we laughed at our own private joke.

Right that's it from me for another week.
I am off to see if I can find a Springsteen T-Shirt in Ben's size anywhere.                                                      


 

No comments:

Post a Comment