Monday, February 28, 2011

I was bruised and battered and I couldn't tell what I felt, I was unrecognisable to myself



So, Young Ben and I were watching The Oscars last night whilst his mum and dad were out gallivanting. He was not too happy that "The King's Peach" won best picture as he was definitely rooting for "Toy Story 3" but neither of us had any complaints about Natalie Portman winning Best Actress and I promised him that when he was old enough I would let him see Natalie in one of my favourite films "Leon". He was also disappointed to learn that "The Black Swan" was a movie about ballet and had nothing to do with one of his favourite books of the same name by Nassim Taleb explaining the Black Swan Theory. His bedtime story is always a toss-up between this and The Gruffalo.

The year I was born "On The Waterfront" won Best Picture and Marlon Brando won Best Actor and I am quite happy with that

Best Picture for the year I was married was "Kramer Vs Kramer" which turned out fairly prophetic but "Apocalypse Now" was also nominated that year which would have served just as well

My three sons were born in the 80s which was about as good for movies as it was for music. My eldest son was born in 1980 when "Ordinary People" and not "Raging Bull" won Best Picture although at least De Niro did win Best Actor for his role in "Raging Bull"

In 1982 when Ben's dad was born Best Picture was won by "Gandhi" and not the wonderful "ET-The Extra-Terrestrial" but at least Best Actor was won by a Ben (Mr Kingsley) and when he was young Sean did have a blow-up ET figure rather than a blow-up Gandhi one.

My youngest son was born in 1986 and had the cheery "Platoon" as his Best Picture but the legend Paul Newman won Best Actor for "The Colour Of Money" and Michael Caine Best Supporting Actor for "Hannah and Her Sisters"

In 1987 when Ben's mum was born Best Supporting Actor was won by SEAN Connery, showing that you can always find a tenuous link if you look hard enough

Best Song in my year was "Three Coins In A Fountain" and my opinion of 80s music is not changed by the winners from the four years mentioned above...1980--"Fame"...1982---"Up Where We Belong"...1986---"Take My Breath Away"....and 1987 ..."(I've had) The Time Of My Life. At least Young Ben has "We Belong Together" by Randy Newman from Toy Story 3 so it will be a song he is familiar with

I leave you this week with my Top 5 Best Song Oscar Winners from down the years (I may struggle to find 5 here)

1. Streets of Philadelphia by Bruce Springsteen (1993)
2. Shaft by Isaac Hayes (1971)
3. Moon River from "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (1961)
4. The Way We Were by Barbara Streissand (1973)
5. Do Not Forsake Me , Oh My Darlin' from High Noon (1952)

I said it would be a struggle. I cannot believe that neither "The Graduate" in 1967 or "Midnight Cowboy" in 1969 had any nominations in The Best Song Category

3 comments:

  1. Man, you are soooo predictable, Springsteen and Gary Cooper, who'd a-thunk it, eh???

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps I had not realised how generally poor the winning songs have been, but if you go way back, even before my time, there are a couple of great tunes:
    Thanks for the Memory
    The way you look tonight
    Lullaby of Broadway
    and, of course,
    Over the Rainbow
    Then, about the time my granny was born, it all started to go wrong ......

    ReplyDelete
  3. pps
    Why did Jailhouse Rock not win?
    Best ever movie song!!

    ReplyDelete