Monday, February 14, 2011

Is it the cry of the river with the moonlight shining through, that ain't what scares me baby, what scares me is losing you


How do I love thee? Let me count the ways
1,2,3,4,5...

So Young Ben and I were writing our Valentine Cards yesterday. Well actually I was writing my Valentine Cards and he was preparing his e-cards and updating his relationship status on Facebook. The days of SWALK and HOLLAND are apparently long gone. When I was researching Valentine's Day online (touch of irony there) I learnt that many of the acronyms used at this time of year originated from letters sent during the Second World War. A soldier would send home a letter with the message ITALY (I trust and love you) or the more tasteful NORWICH ( knickers off ready when I come home...KORWICH just would not have worked so well) and hope not to receive the response CHIP (come home I'm pregnant)

...6, 7, 8...

The card I received last year from Angelina had a nice rhyme included

Roses are red
Violets are blue
If you don't stop stalking me
I'll have a restraining order put on you

At least I know she has noticed me

Valentine's Day is not always a time of peace and love however. In 1929 the infamous St. Valentine's Day Massacre took place in Chicago with the murder of 7 gang associates of Bugs Moran. See what happens if you forget a card or flowers.

..9, 10...

And on February 14th 1779 the great explorer Captain James Cook was killed by natives in Hawaii. Steve McGarrett is never there when you really need him

Also on 14th February 1876 the lawyers of Alexander Graham Bell filed a patent for the telephone. Typical Scotsman, invents the telephone so he does not have to bother sending a Valentine Card

A few years ago I decided to have a nice romantic Valentine's night with my then wife. I booked a table for 8pm. She was not impressed. How was I to know she didn't like snooker

...11, 12, 13 (how could I forget 13)

Not for the first time I turn to Mr Burns to convey what I could never attempt to with regards to love on this special day

O my Luve's like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June:
O my Luve's like the melodie,
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare-thee-weel, my only Luve!
And fare-thee-weel, a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' 'twere ten thousand mile!

Well said Rabbie.For my small contribution I leave you this week with my St. Valentine's Day Love Song Mix

1. Secret Garden.....Bruce Springsteen
2. Love Minus Zero/ No Limit....Bob Dylan
3. Your Song.......Elton John
4. If I Fell............Beatles
5. Truly, Madly, Deeply...Savage Garden
6. If You're Not The One...Daniel Beddingfield
7. Aime.....Damien Rice
8. This Guy's In Love With You....Herb Alpert
9. Cupid..Sam Cooke
10. How Can I Tell You...Cat Stevens
11. Still Crazy After All These Years....Paul Simon
12. Constant Craving...k.d. lang
13. Love And Regret....Deacon Blue
14. Woman.....John Lennon
15. The Wonder Of You...Elvis Presley

...14 (I think that's all the ways I know)

1 comment:

  1. Can't believe you missed out that famous Phil Spector song by The Crystals. Can't quite recall the title, but it starts 'I met him on a Monday and my heart stood still'. Ring any bells there, dooronron?
    Since Valentine's Day is now over, and being of a less romantic disposition than your good self, I give you 5 love songs which, as so often in life, had less happy outcomes.
    1. In Dreams by Roy Orbison - to be fair, it could be just about anything by ol' Roy, he didn't have too many happy endings
    2. My Colouring Book by Dusty Springfield - to be fair, it could be just about anything by the lovely Dusty .......
    3. They Remind Me Too Much of You by Elvis, the ultimate balladeer
    4. I threw it all away by Bob Dylan, the poet of our generation
    5. Famous Blue Raincoat by Leonard Cohen, the maestro of the broken heart and shattered dream - to be fair, it could be ..........

    ReplyDelete