Sunday, September 4, 2011

ho, ho mo leannan, ho mo leannan bhoidheach



SCOTLAND VS CZECH REPUBLIC SATURDAY 02 SEPTEMBER 2011

0600 Wake up all excited. Decide it is still too early and go back to sleep
0700 Wake up all excited. Decide it is still too early and go back to sleep
0800 Radio alarm goes off. Sounds of the Sixties on Radio 2. Listen out for any songs that might be good omens like Chubby Czecher or Emile Ford and The Czech-mates. Have to make do with Freddy Cannon singing California Here I Come which was a favourite of my late dad when sung by Al Jolson. I take that as a good sign
1000 After shower and Shreddies study results and group positions after games played on Friday night to see who we want to come up against in the Play-Offs. How does Turkey in November sound? (sounds a bit like Thanksgiving)
1300 Mate arrives from Millport and he, my eldest son and I head down towards Hampden stopping for a light refreshment on the way
1445 .....'and I would walk 500 more'
1450.....'it's one for the Dagger, another for the one you believe'
1458......' and sent him homeward to think again'.....C'MON SCOTLAND
1505 Milan Baros shoots over the bar from close range. Usual confident start from Scotland
1544 Out of nowhere Scotland score with their first meaningful effort on target. Czech keeper 'has a mare'
1550 Half-time. Have a sit down. Despite paying £30 for a seat everyone in the stand chooses to remain standing for the entire game
1555 'where me and my true love will never meet again' C'MON SCOTLAND
1600 Tactical genius Craig Levein decides to sit back and defend for the second half. We forecast Czech Republic will equalise with 5 minutes to go
1633 We are 7 minutes out with prediction. Czech Republic equalise. For some reason we do not have a full-back amongst our substitutes so bring on an inexperienced centre-half instead to play left-back when Bardsley goes off injured. He is caught out for the goal
1638 unbelievably Scotland take the lead again as Miller takes advantage of a defensive mistake and crosses for Darren Fletcher to score. The crowd go wild
1645 not so unbelievably a Czech player goes down in the box like Tom Daley and the ref gives a penalty. 2-2
1648 Christophe Berra is fouled in the box but the referee decides to book him for diving rather than give a penalty. The game's a bogey!
1650 Time up. Once more Scotland have snatched defeat (or in this case a draw) from the jaws of victory
1715 Arrive at pub for some serious sorrow drowning
1930 Someone (not me) suggests it is time for a Patron XO Cafe Tequila which is unsurprisingly a mix of tequila and coffee. This is not the only time this hideous mixture is sampled during the course of the evening
2230 I decide it is time to go home and take a taxi up the road
2300..Masochism n. a willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences Obviously I watch the highlights of the football when I get home and see nothing to change my mind on either penalty
2345 I fall asleep watching The Bourne Ultimatum and thinking that we could have done with Jason in defence today
0600 I wake up with a hangover and a strange taste of coffee in my mouth. I have no idea where that came from. I don't like coffee




No comments:

Post a Comment