Tuesday, May 15, 2012

and when I looked the moon had turned to gold

Congratulations to Manchester City.

In one of the most incredible and exciting finishes to a Premier League season two injury time goals saw them snatch glory from the jaws of despair to win the title for the first time since 1968

I am not a huge fan of clubs whose mega rich owners 'buy' them success but I have to say that over the piece I think City deserved to win the title and showed a resolve that earned them their success.

Earlier on this season they scored two very late goals to earn a 3-3 draw with Sunderland. They also came from 2-0 down to beat Sporting Lisbon 3-2 so it is obviously a self belief they have 'in their locker' to use a very bad Sky Sports expression

I also recall the 1999 Second Division Play-off Final when City came from 2-0 down to Gillingham to score two injury time goals and force the game into extra time. They eventually won that game on penalties to earn promotion back to what is now known as The Championship. They have come a long way since then.

The last time City won the top league was 44 years ago in 1968. That team included the likes of Corrigan, Book, Doyle, Summerbee, Neil Young (before he went off to join Crosby, Stills and that guy from the Hollies) and their two main shining lights Colin Bell and Francis Lee. I remember seeing Bell play in the 70s and he is one of the finest English players I have ever seen. Franny had a reputation for falling over in the box and could certainly have taught Ashley Young or Ronaldo a thing or two about winning penalties.

My favourite memory of Lee however was from 1975 when he was playing for Derby against Leeds and won a dubious penalty. Norman 'bites your legs' Hunter, who had a name for being a hard man, took exception to this and what followed was a full scale brawl between the two. Despite Hunter's reputation Franny was well up for it and certainly did more than just hold his own


I believe Franny went up in a lot of people's estimations after that incident

When City won the league in 68 I was 14 and spending my Saturdays listening to Gary Puckett and The Union Gap singing 'Young Girl' in a record booth in John Menzies in Ayr High Street, or going to see Planet Of The Apes at The Odeon, or asking Susan Waddell out on a date. Now that it's all come good for City again maybe it's time I gave her another call

Also in 1968 I was watching Ayr United playing glamour games against teams like East Fife, Arbroath, Forfar, Alloa and Stenhousemuir. My weekend was not as joyous as that of the City fans. I watched Ayr lose 3-1 at home to Airdrie and suffer relegation back to Division 2 where next year they will be playing teams like East Fife, Arbroath, Forfar, Alloa and Stenhousemuir

In the words of Mr David Byrne...'same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was'

No comments:

Post a Comment