Monday, June 18, 2012

To lead a better life, I need my love to be here

Today is the 70th birthday of Sir Paul McCartney. His music had a large influence on my life when I was younger although as a Beatles fan I must confess to being a Lennon man not a McCartney one

When the Beatles split up I gave McCartney the benefit of the doubt and purchased albums such as McCartney, Ram, Red Rose Speedway, Band On The Run and Venus and Mars in the early to mid 70s but apart from perhaps a Wings Greatest Hits CD, Venus and Mars in 1975 was the last time I paid money for any non-Beatles music associated with Mr McCartney.

The standard of his output since that time has in my opinion been generally fairly poor and his performance at the recent Jubilee Concert was hardly memorable

However in recognition of his undoubted contribution to modern music, this week I give you three personal lists. The first is my Top 10 Favourite Beatles tracks largely attributed to McCartney and the second and third the Top 10 Worst Songs and Best Songs associated with him since he left The Beatles

These are done purely on personal taste with no regards to artistic merit or lack thereof

Top 10 McCartney Beatles Songs
            
  1. Here There and Everywhere (1966)…from the iconic ‘Revolver’ album
  2. And I Love Her (1964)…from my favourite Beatles’ album ‘A Hard Day’s Night
  3. All My Loving (1963)…’I’ll pretend that I’m kissing the lips I am missing’
  4. The Fool On The Hill (1967)…I remember watching Magical Mystery Tour and being enthralled at the time
  5. P.S. I Love You (1962)…quite concerning that this song is now 50 years old
  6. Blackbird (1968)….’all your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arise’
  7. Things We Said Today (1964)…another from the faultless ‘A Hard Day’s Night’
  8. Lady Madonna (1968)…a number 1 in that year
  9. Helter Skelter (1968)…The Beatles get heavy in a song forever associated with Charles Manson
  10. Hey Jude (1968)…a classic allegedly written for Lennon’s son Julian

No place for the widely covered but in my opinion vastly overrated ‘Yesterday’ or ‘Yellow Submarine’ which although not a great song has a place in my heart as there is a version sung by Ayr United fans which refers to former Kilmarnock manager Bobby Williamson and something about a monkey’s head

10 Worst Post-Beatles McCartney Songs

  1. We All Stand Together (with the Frog Chorus) (1984)…..just embarrassing
  2. Mull of Kintyre (1977)…this dirge just seemed to go on forever
  3. Ebony and Ivory (1982)…I love Stevie Wonder but this duet was cringingly bad
  4. The Girl Is Mine (1982)…another horrendous duet, this time with Michael Jackson
  5. Say, Say, Say (1983)…..”that worked out so well Michael, let’s do it again”
  6. Spies Like Us  (1985)…bad song, bad film
  7. Wonderful Christmas Time (1979)…not a great fan of cheesy Christmas songs and this did nothing to change my mind
  8. Pipes Of Peace (1983)..the ‘B’ side in the UK was called ‘So Bad’. Very appropriate
  9. Give Ireland Back To The Irish (1972)…political comment from Mr McCartney. Banned by the BBC
  10. Mary Had A Little Lamb (1972)…supposedly issued as a response to the ban. Regardless, a truly awful song


Top 10 Post-Beatles McCartney Songs

  1. Maybe I’m Amazed (1970)..this excellent track on his debut solo album suggested future promise. Sadly this was as good as it got
  2. Just Another Day (1971)…his first solo single, kept off Number 1 spot by George Harrison’s ‘My Sweet Lord’
  3. Band On The Run (1973)…from the album of the same name
  4. Jet (1973)…best track on the ‘Band On The Run’ album
  5. Silly Love Songs (1976)….I have no idea why but I really like this song. Very catchy
  6. Listen What The Man Said (1975)…stand out track from the disappointing ‘Venus And Mars’ album
  7. Let ’Em In (1976)…I actually prefer the version by Billy Paul who changed the people that were “knocking at the door”
  8. Live And Let Die (1973)…this theme song was probably the only plus point of the movie which saw Roger Moore play James Bond for the first time
  9. My Love (1973)…really struggling to reach 10 here. This song was the best track on the ‘Red Rose Speedway’ album
  10. Goodnight Tonight (1979)….ok
Anyway Happy Birthday Sir Paul
'Don't keep me waiting here, lead me to your door'

No comments:

Post a Comment