Monday, October 22, 2012

I've built walls, a fortess deep and mighty, that none may penetrate

Young Ben and I had another excellent day in Rouken Glen Park last week.

We went prepared this time and had bread with us to feed the ducks. That being said, feeding the ducks proved more difficult than we would have imagined as other birds of various varieties (apart from seagulls my bird identifying game is extremely weak) swooped in and stole the bread from under the ducks' beaks.

We managed to entice some ducks closer to the side of the pond but still had to virtually land the bread in their mouths to stop the aeriel acrobatics of the flying thieves from being successful.

I mentioned earlier that we were prepared for our park visit. This was not true in all departments. Ben was wearing his Converse Trainers rather than his trusty Wellies but still managed to splash through every puddle there was round the perimeter of the pond. I blame his mum for this, though obviously not out loud.

After our bread was finished we made our way round the pond to the bridge over the waterfall. Being careful not to waken any of the trolls snoozing beneath the bridge we launched some sizable sticks into the water above the falls and then rushed to the other side of the bridge to watch them cascading downstream.

Just further on from the waterfall we came across the Rouken Glen Himalayas. A daunting prospect for most park visitors but not for intrepid mountaineers such as Ben and myself.

Leaving the buggy at base camp and establishing that Ben would not require any pit stops as there is no 'p' in ascent we set off upwards

There were a couple of tricky moments on the way and at one point I thought I may have had to cut my own arm off but Ben managed to rescue me from that particular cliffhanger in under 127 hours. On reaching the summit Ben had a brief rest to survey the world around him from his lofty spot but then we had to move for a young lad on his bike so off he went down the other side in search of new adventures

It is rewarding to realise that in this modern age where children have constant access to TV and Computers that a few rocks in the open air can still inspire a two year old for hours. By the time we headed back to the car, I am not sure which of the two of us was more tuckered out

In recognition of our momentous climb I leave you this week with my Top 10 Mountain Related Pop Songs

1. Ain't No Mountain High Enough............Dianna Ross
2. Sugar Mountain.....................................Neil Young
3. Rocky Mountain Way............................Joe Walsh
4. Love On A Mountain Top.....................Robert Knight
5. Misty Mountain Hop.............................Led Zeppelin
6. I Never Asked To Be Your Mountain...Tim Buckley
7. Big Rock Candy Mountain....................Burl Ives
8. River Deep, Mountain High..................Ike and Tina Turner
9. Rocky Mountain High..........................John Denver
10. Mountains.........................................Biffy Clyro

I hope you appreciate that I did not include Everesting Love by The Love Affair or anything by K2 Melua or The Fujis.........and definitely no Cliff!

Right, I am off to watch The Eiger Sanction now so that Clint can show me how it should be done. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment