Monday, January 10, 2011

and it's taking you so long, to find out you were wrong, when you thought it had everything


So, I made a New Year's Resolution not to make any New Year's Resolutions and obviously I broke that New Year's Resolution by making a New Year's Resolution not to make any New Year's Resolutions. Anyway you catch my drift on the futility of New Year's Resolutions.



I spent a great day babysitting Young Ben last week while his Mum and Dad were out gallivanting around (isn't gallivanting a great word). We managed to make use of most of the toys he received from Santa, which trust me was no mean feat and I even introduced him to the Incy Wincy Spider Song. He seemed somewhat concerned for the fate of Incy after the heavy rain but was relieved to discover that it all ended well once Incy reclaimed his rightful spot up that rinsed out spout.

Over the Festive period my PC finally expired and went to meet its maker (Packard Bell I believe). It is now bereft of life,it rests in peace. It has rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. It is an ex-PC. I was therefore left without Internet access for over a week and suddenly realised how reliant I was on this access. I had to resort to "Old School" tactics like reading a newspaper, or watching the news. I even actually spoke to some people during this time. Fortunately my mate Ian has hooked me up again and I can now revert back to my Howard Hughes like existence

I do however still meet my brother once a week for lunch and we play our Desert Island game. This week's went as follows


BRIAN…This week the topic is Desert Island Sandwiches…I’ll give you my top 3 to give you time to think
1. Club Sandwich..multi storey mixture of Chicken, Bacon, lettuce, tomato
2. Brie & Cranberry…for the more discerning castaway
3. Egg Mayonnaise…simple & delicious and the after effects not such a problem on a desert island

RON….interesting, interesting. I will go for..
1. Mature Cheddar Ploughman..can’t beat an old favourite
2. Haggis & Strawberries…Rabbie Burns meets Wimbledon awesome
3. If there is a Subway on this island I’ll have a Foot long meatball sub

BRIAN…It’s not Union Street, it’s a desert island. There is no Subway

RON…aye, ok…ham & mustard then

The barmaid interrupts…..What are you guys talking about this week?

BRIAN…Desert Island Sandwiches

BARMAID….Desert Island Sandwiches? You guys are really sad

BRIAN….Sad? Sad? It wasn’t that last week when it was Desert Island Shoes

I do really need to get out more

It was sad to read of the passing of Gerry Rafferty last week. I wrote in a recent Blog about the legacy you leave behind. I think most of us would be happy to leave behind Baker Street as a way to be remembered. I certainly would. Not many people get to write a song as good as that. I hope they have saxophones in heaven

1 comment:

  1. Your sandwiches cover the entire loaf from bland to disgusting to US excessive. What is wrong with a good old-fashioned piece and jam with some sliced banana and a couple of fingers of Kit-Kat?
    I suspect Ben will have his work cut out looking after you until he escapes to school.

    ReplyDelete