Monday, January 24, 2011

well morning comes and you're still with her and the bus and the tourists have gone


After subjecting my brain to years and years of pop music I am attempting to harness my own super power. I am "sing the lyrics of a song and be transported through space and time to the events of that song guy". I admit it's not as catchy as Spiderman or Batman but I am working on it.

Unfortunately I have not yet perfected this super power and at present it is somewhat sporadic and I find myself a bit like The Time Traveller's Wife's Husband. One minute I can be minding my own business, singing to myself, when suddenly there I am working on a chain gang with my mate Sam. Now I know we have all worked on a chain gang at some time in our lives but, hey, I've done my time, let a man move on with his life

The other morning I was just looking out of my window at the rain dirty valley and suddenly --wallop--there was Brigadoon and some show-off climbing a ladder with a torch in his pocket and the wind at his heels and yes we have all seen your comet trail blazing trick before so just let it go

Then last week I was walkin' down the street, concentratin' on truckin' right but I wasn't singing 10CC, I was singing Don McLean "And I love Her So" and when I looked behind there was Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch following me (younger readers may have to look this one up)

As I say though I cannot plan an episode. No matter how many times I walk along the beach singing Bobby Goldsboro all I ever end up with is sand in my shoes. I guess Bobby did not have Prestwick Beach in mind when he wrote that song. Sometimes I get my Bobby Goldsboro lyrics mixed up and a massive tree suddenly appears before me. Yes Bobby, I can see how big it's grown

And no matter how many times I sing about kissing a girl and liking it the feelings do not appear to be reciprocal

But sometimes it just works like a charm. Who wouldn't want to be sailing up the west coast through villages and towns although I can live without the Raki and the Maynard Keynes (have you ever read Maynard Keynes?...Ricky Ross may be the only person from Dundee who has )

And how many times have you strolled through the crowd like Peter Lorre, contemplating a crime on a morning from a Bogart movie, in a country where they turn back time

Earlier this week I was in my house singing Richard Marx when a man with a badge came knocking and there was I surrounded by a thousand fingers suddenly pointed right at me. I swore I left her by the river, I swore I left her safe and sound but the neighbours still took a bit of convincing and I thought setting fire to the house was a bit over the top. Innocent until proven guilty people!

My heating broke down last week, but no matter how often I sing the song it would appear in fact that Bob the Builder cannot fix it and I will have to call out a heating engineer

Sometimes the song works without any magic. I was with Young Ben yesterday and I was singing "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life", when he gave me one of his little smiles. Who needs super powers when you have a smile like that

Notwithstanding, I will keep singing "Island In The Sun" and hope for the best

2 comments:

  1. wow, some pretty obscure references in there, m'lud, and if you quote Year of the Cat just one more time I will really really have to set Vidock on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that Harry's Island or Weezer's?

    ReplyDelete