Tuesday, March 6, 2012

On the plains of Jordan I cut my bow from the wood of this tree of evil, of this tree of good, I want a kiss from your lips, I want an eye for an eye ......

It was somewhat ironic (in an Alanis Morissette non-ironic kind of way) that in the week that my recollections reached their final decade  Davey Jones of The Monkees passed away bringing us back full circle to the 60s

I always liked The Monkees and thought they had more talent than they were given credit for. Davey will be sadly missed but I think he will be OK. Apparently he was a believer

So, finally we reach the 2000s, a decade which seems to have been dominated by terrorism but which ended on a personal high for myself

Here are my lists for 2000s

World Events

1. The attack on the Twin Towers in September 2001. An event which shocked the entire world
2. The London Bombings of July 2005 brought this new terrorism to our shores on a major scale
3. The attack on Glasgow Airport in June 2007. A poor choice. In Glasgow we have baggage handlers who take on terrorists
4. The Tsunami of 26 December 2004. A natural disaster of unparalleled magnitude which left over 230,000 people dead or missing in Southeast Asia
5. Hurricane Katrina in 2005 caused havoc and destruction in Southern USA and brought out the very best and the very worst from the American People and Government

Sporting Icons

1. Usain Bolt....at the 2008 Olympics he won Gold at 100M, 200M and the 4x100Metres Relay setting World Records for all three in doing so.
2. Steven Redgrave....won his 5th consecutive Gold Medal at the 2000 Olympics and actually rowed farther and longer than Ben-Hur
3. Lionel Messi....simply a footballing genius
4. Tom Brady....winner of 3 Super Bowls with The New England Patriots, media superstar and married to a Supermodel. Life is pretty good for Tom but will not be calling any sons he has Eli.
5. Michael Phelps...the American swimmer who won 8 Gold Medals at the 2008 Olympics with all but one of his winning swims setting new World Records

Movies

1. Gladiator (2000)
   " My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."
2. No Country For Old Men (2007)....excellent portrayal of an excellent book
3. City Of God (20020....epic tale of two boys growing up in a violent neighbourhood in Rio de Janeiro
4. Mystic River (2003)....Clint Eastwood's gripping tale set in Boston with Sean Penn winning a Best Actor Oscar and the always reliable Tim Robbins winning Best Supporting Actor Oscar
5. Man On Fire (2004)....Denzel Washington takes no prisoners in his attempts to rescue kidnapped Dakota Fanning

Music

1. Amie...Damien Rice (2002) from the wonderful album 'O' , one of the few new albums I bought in the 2000s
2. It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry....Glasvegas (2008)...outstanding lyrics sung with a Glasgow accent. Brilliant!
3. Mr Brightside...The Killers (2004).....one of the few artists I saw live in the 2000s and this is my favourite song of theirs
4. Could Well Be In ....The Streets (2004)
    "I saw this thing on ITV the other week,
     Said, that if she played with her hair, she's probably keen
     She's playing with her hair, well regularly,
     So I reckon I could well be in"
5. Cold Wind...Arcade Fire (2005)...haunting song used in the final scenes of the excellent TV series 'Six Feet Under'

Personal Events

1. Going to San Francisco in 2004. It took me until I was fifty before I finally made it to the city by the bay. It was more than worth the wait (I know the photo says 2002 but I never could work the date in that camera)
2. In 2006 my mate and I spent a week in Finland visiting his son who was studying there. A very strange country full of very strange people but that did not stop us from having a great time
3. My dad died in 2007. I still miss him and find myself talking to him most days
4. Became unemployed in 2008 for the first time since I left school in 1973
5. Became a grandfather on 6 October 2010. I know this is strictly speaking outside the timeline but I wanted to finish on a high and this was the ultimate high. Young Ben has since provided many more and hopefully will continue to do so for a few years yet.


That ends my not so brief history. Back to the real world next week

No comments:

Post a Comment